These insanely beautiful accent chairs worth splurging on will definitely add comfort and sophistication to your living room.
- What Is an Accent Chair?
- Where Do You Put an Accent Chair in a Living Room?
- Cane + Rattan Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
- Bouclé + Sherpa Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
- Round + Curved Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
- Swivel Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
- Patterned Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
- Moody and Grey Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
- Tips for Choosing the Perfect Accent Chair
Adding accent chairs in your living room or a family room is a great way to infuse your creativity and personality in your home. Long gone are the days when we all played safe with matchy-matchy sofas and armchairs, even when living in small spaces.
Now, layering different colours, patterns, and textures cohesively in living rooms is de rigueur. The trick is to ensure that all furniture and decor accessories work cohesively together to beautifully enhance your main colour scheme.
To make your life easier, I’ve scouted reputable online furnishings stores to curate a collection of gorgeous accent chairs for the living room worth splurging on. But, before drooling over all these stylish living room chairs, let’s define what an accent chair actually is, and how to cleverly decorate your space with it.
This post contains independently selected affiliate links. If you buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission. See our disclosures here to find out more.
What Is an Accent Chair?
An accent chair is basically an armchair or an occasional chair that is placed alongside a sofa in a living room, a lounge, an entryway, a family room, or a room corner.
The main purpose of an accent chair is to provide additional seating in a room. Whether used as a stand-alone furniture item or as a pair, an accent chair generally serves as a statement piece. It adds elegance, sophistication, or different colour shades and textures to a room.
Where Do You Put an Accent Chair in a Living Room?
When decorating with an accent chair for your living room, keep it away from the walls or the room corner, if you can. Your accent chair should complement your sofa, and should therefore take centre stage. Position your accent chair(s) either opposite your prominent sofa(s) or on the sofas’ left or right sides.
Whether you need one or two accent chairs in your living room very much depends on your room layout and size, and the overall style you are seeking to achieve. A small space can fit in one or two accent chairs, whilst a bigger living room could easily display two or more accent chairs.
Your accent chairs do not have to match the sofa or existing chairs in your living room. Feel free to pair them in the same style and colour, or use different accent chairs that complement your living room aesthetics.
Draw inspiration from the stylish accent chairs below that can help elevate your living room for greater fun with family and friends.
Cane + Rattan Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
Cane and rattan furniture continue to remain hugely popular with millennial and Gen-Z homeowners and renters alike. Their superb natural textures, their versatility, and durability contribute to their rising appeal, particularly for those who favour coastal decor styles.
The environmentally friendly weaving techniques manufacturers utilise to produce cane and rattan accent chairs for indoor-outdoor living rooms further elevate their value in the market.
If understated elegance full of natural materials and a restrained colour palette bring you joy, then the cane and rattan accent chairs below are definitely worth checking out. Enjoy!
Bouclé + Sherpa Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
Add Coco Chanel vibes and enveloping warmth into your living rooms with bouclé or Sherpa accent chairs. Their inviting plush and fluffy textures will make you want to grab a sofa throw and cocoon yourself in your living rooms whilst sipping tea or reading.
The Instagramable nature of Sherpa and bouclé accent chairs make them excellent backdrops for photo shoots and videos. Hence, their huge popularity with influencers and interior designers.
Don’t be intimidated by the mostly off-white or light colours of Sherpa and bouclé accent chairs. Check if the one you are going for is made from a performance fabric that is dust, stain, spill, splash and splatter resistant.
Round + Curved Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
There is something so sexy and sophisticated about curved accent chairs that make them so eye-catchy. Round and curved accent chairs in a living room tend to soften the space and infuse a feminine touch to a home decor.
What is very exciting is that you can mix and match round and curved accent chairs with square furniture. This will help turn your living room into an extremely comfortable seating area.
Swivel Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
Ideal for living rooms with television, swivel accent chairs are great to ease interactions in living spaces. The rotative nature of the swivel chair base is what makes it very attractive. It enables anyone seated in that armchair to effortlessly lean left and right whilst interacting with people, resting, or watching television.
Back in the days, swivel chairs in clunky designs were restricted to your granny’s homes. Now, they are available in super sleek and stylish silhouettes. These make them very alluring in transitional, contemporary, and eclectic design style homes.
Patterned Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
Accent chairs with bold pattern fabrics can definitely help add the wow factor to your living room. The key here is to go for a patterned accent chair that enhances your sofa(s) and main furniture pieces.
To further bring a patterned accent chair to life, curate a selection of decor accessories that complement your chosen chair’s colour scheme without overpowering it.
Moody and Grey Accent Chairs for Living Rooms
Tone down an extremely bright or colourful living room with more restrained shades of deep navy blue, black, moss green, and greys. Accent chairs are perfect opportunities to infuse such moody hues in your living room to help create balance in your home interiors.
What is also great about darker shades is that they tend to hide imperfections and stains a lot better than light and vivid hues. This can be helpful for high-traffic homes full of young children who love to play around at home and your loved ones you are frequently entertaining.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Accent Chair
Now that you have more or less of an idea about the type of accent chair you fancy, it’s time to start shopping. Here are a few tips to help you choose the perfect accent chair for your living room:
- Measure the available space you have selected to place the chair in your living room. This will ensure you pick an accent chair style that works well within your available square footage.
- Take pictures of your sofa(s) and main furniture pieces to make sure you select accent chairs that complement and enhance your key furniture items.
- Think about how you would like to use your occasional chair. Pay particular attention to form and function. Comfort here is just as important as style.
- Set a budget to help you narrow down your options and effectively manage your resources.
- Visit furnishings stores both in-person and online to assess your options in the market. Online stores tend to have a much broader range of accent chairs to check out than your local stores that are limited by their square footage.
- If opting to make an online purchase, read product reviews where available beforehand. Pay attention to the best and worst reviews to better gauge people’s purchase and user experiences.
- If you choose to make an in-store purchase, sit on your chosen accent chair model to assess how comfortable and elegant it is. Inquire in-store about the best way to maintain and clean up your chair fabric to maximise its longevity.