In need of a little pick-me-up? Here are 28 motivational quotes to keep you inspired for a happier and successful life, one day at a time.
On your way to greatness, sometimes a song, a movie or a few positive words can give you the extra boost you need to keep going, reigniting hope, purpose and clarity of action in your spirit, or simply bringing a smile to your face whilst you are navigating challenging issues.
With that in mind, I am starting this series of motivational quotes for life to share with you a few words of wisdom from entrepreneurs, leaders, poets, artists, teachers, and Holy books, that I hope will help you meditate, face your fears, and strengthen your belief in yourself.
This post contains independently selected affiliate links. If you buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission. See our disclosures here to find out more
1. NELSON MANDELA
“A winner is a dreamer who never gives up”, said Nelson Mandela, freedom fighter under the Apartheid segregationist regime and former president of South Africa, in this highly motivational quote that inspires us all to relentlessly pursue our dreams.
2. OSCAR WILDE
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
– Oscar Wilde, Irish poet and playwright of the Victorian era
3. MALIDOMA PATRICE SOME
In his life-transforming book The Healing Wisdom of Africa: Finding Life Purpose Through Nature, Ritual, and Community, Burkinabe shaman Dr. Malidoma Patrice Somé wrote:
Individuals, as extensions of Spirit, come into the world with a purpose. At its core, the purpose of an individual is to bring beauty, harmony, and communion to Earth. Individuals live out their purpose through their work.”
4. JOEL OSTEEN
As the third declaration of his thought-provoking and inspiring self-help book I Declare: 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life, Pastor Joel Osteen wrote:
“I DECLARE I have the grace I need for today. I am full of power, strength, and determination. Nothing I will face will be too much for me. I will overcome every obstacle, outlast every challenge, and come through every difficulty better off than I was before. This is my declaration.”
5. MAYA ANGELOU
“You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
– Dr. Maya Angelou, the prolific African-American author, poet and civil rights activist wrote in her acclaimed book Letter to My Daughter.
6. OPRAH WINFREY
“You don’t become what you want, you become what you believe.”
– Oprah Winfrey dissected the above statement in October 2011 during the Emmy award-winning Oprah’s Lifeclass on OWN TV channel.
7. PAULO COELHO
“I ask myself: are defeats necessary? Well, necessary or not, they happen. When we first begin fighting for our dream, we have no experience and make many mistakes. The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
– Brazilian author Paulo Coelho wrote in his worldwide acclaimed book The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream.
8. TREVOR NOAH
“We spend so much time being afraid of failure, afraid of rejection. But regret is the thing we should fear most. Failure is an answer, rejection is an answer. Regret is an eternal question you will never have the answer to.”
– Trevor Noah, comedian and The Daily Show host, wrote the above words in his international bestselling book Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood.
9. BRIAN TRACY
“Success is the ability to live your life the way you want to live it, doing what you most enjoy, surrounded by people you admire and respect.”
– Brian Tracy on his favourite definition of success as written in his acclaimed book Million Dollar Habits: Proven Power Practices to Double & Triple your Income.
10. SUZE ORMAN
“The road to financial freedom begins not in a bank or even in a financial planner’s office, but in your head. It begins with your thoughts.”
– Suze Orman, one of the most famous financial advisers in the United States, wrote in her bestselling book The 9 Steps To Financial Freedom.
11. IYANLA VANZANT
“Expansion doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time and we must be patient with ourselves and life. We must have patience in our own worthiness to receive. We must have faith in the process of life by knowing it will deliver all that we are ready and willing to receive.”
– Iyanla Vanazant, African-American spiritual teacher and TV host of Iyanla Fix my Life on the OWN TV channel, wrote in her life-transforming book The Value Value in the Valley.
12. NAPOLEON HILL
“I had learned, from years of experience with men, that when a man really desires a thing so deeply that he is willing to stake his entire future on a single turn of the wheel in order to get it, he is sure to win.”
– Author Arthur R. Pell, reflecting on the power of thought, in the revised and expanded version of Napoleon Hill’s book Think and Grow Rich, one of the most influential bestsellers of all times.
13. RICHARD TEMPLAR
“Each and every day starts with a clean slate so that no matter what you did yesterday, today begins anew and you have the same rights as everyone else to take as much as you want. The only thing that can hold you back is yourself and your own money myths.”
– Richard Templar wrote in his book The Rules of Wealth:A Personal Code for Prosperity and Plenty
14. JALAL AD-DIN MUHAMMAD RUMI
“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
– Rūmī, one of the most influential Persian poet and Islamic dervish of all times
15. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
“Some are born great, others achieve greatness,” playwright William Shakespeare wrote in Twelfth Night.
16. HAZRAT INAYAT KHAN
“Our thoughts have prepared for us the happiness or unhappiness we experience.”
– Hazrat Inayat Khan, Indian Sufi master and enlightened coach
17. JACKIE “MOMS” MABLEY
“If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.”
– Jackie “Moms” Mabley, one of the most famous African- American stand-up comedians and actresses of all times.
18. THE HOLY BIBLE
“Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
– Joshua 1: 9, The Holy Bible
19. MARCUS GARVEY
“If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.”
– Marcus Garvey, Jamaican political activist, publisher, journalist, entrepreneur, and orator.
20. BRENE BROWN
“The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek,” wrote American research professor Dr. Brené Brown in her New York Times bestseller book Dare to Lead.
21. HOWARD MURAD
“We have to give ourselves the opportunity to experiment, to try, and to fail in order to identify our purpose and develop our contribution and style.”
– Dr Howard Murad, Iraq born dermatologist and founder of skincare brand Murad, wrote in his book Creating a Healthy Life, Edition Two.
22. YORUBA PROVERB
“If we stand tall, it is because we stand on the backs of those who came before us.”
– Yoruba proverb
23. THOMAS EDISON
“Restlessness is discontent and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure.”
– Thomas Edison, one of the greatest self-educated inventors of all times with 2,3332 patents worldwide, on success and perseverance.
24. MICHELLE OBAMA
“If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.” wrote former first lady Michelle Obama in her New York Times bestselling memoir Becoming.
25. HAUSA PROVERB
“Strategy is better than strength.”
– Hausa proverb
26. M.R. BAWA MUHAIYADDEEN
“The moment you shine the light, the darkness vanishes. Darkness exists only before there is light.”
– M.R. Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, Tamil-speaking teacher and Sufi mystic, wrote in To Die Before Death: The Sufi Way of Life.
27. JACK MA
“Keep your dream alive because it might come true someday,” said Jack Ma, Chinese founder of multibillion dollars alibaba.com marketplace, on the secret code for success during his speech in 2014 at the Asia Game Changer Awards ceremony.
28. J.K. ROWLING
“It is our choices (..) that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
– J.K. Rowling wrote in her worldwide acclaimed book Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.